About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Does anyone remember "LOGO?"

Isn't that what it was called? A programming language they taught us in Elementary School, about moving a Turtle around a screen and drawing lines and such.

Anyone remember that? No reason. Just wanted to say...I just had that moment where you go "Oh yes. That existed."

7 comments:

Jamespeak said...

I do.

I also remember BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code).

MattJ said...

Totally. Made some damn pretty pictures with that turtle.

Cat* said...

I liked programming him so he'd keep running around the screen covering his own tracks until it was completely full... this usually took a good 20 minutes - and you were "working" "

Anonymous said...

Yup. Logo. Hadn't thought of that in years.

Turtle Power!

Froggeh said...

Oh yeah... remember them both. Learned how to program in BASIC on my mom's old Osborne 1 portable. Spent a bunch of time on LOGO in school as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Updike's Villages right now and LOGO just came up in one scene. Supposedly, at least according to the protagonist, it was that LOGO program that helped to inspire a guy from Stanford to invent the mouse.

I'm not sure if that is accurate or not, though. Like most Updike protagonists, he is somewhat unreliable and cheats on his wife a lot.

In fact... now that I think about it... most of what I know about the history of computers I know from Updike novels and trying to get computer video games to work as a kid.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah--I even remember taping a transparent maze to the screen and programming logo to go through it. Fun stuff. I also remember making argyle patterns with it. Now really, is there a program today that will do argyle? Didn't think so.
ps-hi matt