About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Scott Walters at Theatre Ideas

It's been quite a while since I've linked to Scott at Theatre Ideas. He's still cooking up a storm over there.

He's recently put for an idea to debate, and I think it's definitely worth some back-and-forth.

"Any theatre that transfers a production to a commercial venue automatically loses its non-profit status."


And so? What say you?

5 comments:

RLewis said...

"...it's definitely worth some back-and-forth." You're kiddin', right? The man continues to lead young minds in the wrong direction. And we wonder why theater blogging is dying. ugh!

Scott Walters said...

RLewis -- I'd be curious to know more of your objections.

RLewis said...

S, we've gone over this more than once on your own blog, and i don't think it's fair to Matt to get into a back-n-forth here, but i'll offer one point to wrap this up: we both agree that there needs to be more theater throughout the US, but I don't think it's necessary to put down the larger cities to make your point, esp' the one i live in. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me that American theater could benefit greatly from more coming together, not divvying us up. And, I’d be happy to discuss the factual inaccuracy of pugnacious prose like, “…the increasing centralization of the theatre in New York…” or what your grand scheme would do about n-f-p universities who run bookstores or churches with adjoining hotels, but it’s too much for this post or any blog. -R

Scott Walters said...

"And, I’d be happy to discuss the factual inaccuracy of pugnacious prose like, “…the increasing centralization of the theatre in New York…”

How is that inaccurate?

RLewis said...

S, please re-read the beginning and end of my last comment. Sadly, I didn't expect you to respect that. But I'll be in Asheville this spring to visit my nephew and attend a Black Mtn College event, so feel free to invite me over to discuss your divisiveness. My apologies, Matt, thanks. -R