About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015



Well blog. Farewell to 2015. A fine year.

I turned 40, and had the best kind of birthday - encouraged and loved by friends and family.

Spent another year with Pam Grossman, who continues to amaze at every turn. Five years married.

In my second year at New Dramatists, I presented multiple readings and participated in my first Creativity Fund.

I worked on new plays: The Listeners, The Base, The Starving Dress, That Which Isn't, Bluebeard, Traveling to Montpelier and The Language.

A new Star Wars movie came out, and I actually attend the premiere because of a loving old friend. And I went with my oldest friend. George Lucas was in the theater and we were a part of his standing ovation. Also: I got to see my heroes get older. And I'm getting older. And I have feelings about that. And you know what those feelings are.

Production at the Brick of The Listeners along with Michael Gardner and a cast of some of the most brilliant actors I know. Crazy, strange, intense experience. Nominated for an NYIT Award.

I was a judge for the Samuel French Off-Off Broadway Short Play Festival. First time judging. An honor.

Met a lot of individuals I'd been hoping to meet for years, at various theaters I admire. Good conversations, learning a lot, meeting agents, learning what it means to move forward.

Got some podcasting goodness going on:




Received a fellowship to attend the MacDowell Colony. My first residency. Talked with artists of all sorts of disciplines, made new friends, wrote some new things, learned that my most productive hours are 9 am - 1pm (useless information, but true) and even played charades.

Watched friends grow up, and grow their hair long, and cut it short, and show up on TV, and publish books, and learn new things, and move, and stay put.

I got to watch them raise their kids, and watch their kids wear Green Lantern rings and sing at the top of their lungs and cry at movies and learn the names of all the characters in Star Wars and be the best in ballet and make funny faces on Facebook and be just fine, thank you very much, and what's better?

I'm a lucky human being.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

A great and well deserved year. Congratulations and much love.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Unknown said...

Greetings, Mr. Freeman! I am an actor and singer, and I've just started a blog about introversion in the world of theatre. You have a lot of experience in this industry, and I very much enjoy your posts. Would you be willing to comment on introversion in theatre and how it helps or hinders acting, through your viewpoint? Is introversion really that much of a barrier when it comes to succeeding in the arts, or can it help even more?

Thank you!

http://jeremyjohnadams.weebly.com/why-am-i-here

Rnnoorrkka said...

A new Star Wars show came out, and that i truly attend the premiere due to a taken with ex. and that I went with my oldest friend. Film writer was within the theater and that we were a locality of his recognition. The Neptune Theatre Tickets

financialserviceoffer said...

Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thanks