About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday Utterly Random 10

I've been remiss in updating this blog with any substantive material of late. So I thought I'd take a moment to put up 10 blurbs, thoughts I've had, interests, what-have-you, for your weekend enjoyment. Thoughts, as always, are appreciated.

1. I'll be attending In Public on Saturday. I'm excited to see George and Isaac's work. I have to say, of course, that it highlights the muddy lines between new media, mainstream media, and artists that blogging creates. George and Isaac are prominent bloggers, George has a relationship with the New York Times, and has his own identity as a playwright. I'm curious how the response to the play is going to be handled (if you'll excuse me) privately and publicly.

2. Still watching LOST. Oh the glorious cartoon. Bring on the ridiculous. I eat it up with a spoon.

3. Dear Representative Foley,

It hurts me to hear that you not only abuse alcohol, and that you were sexually abused as altar boy, but that you are living in a world that is permissive to homosexuality. It must have made it hard for you to succeed in life, much less become a Congressman.

I can only conclude, therefore, that the charges against you are false. Thank you for clearing that all up.

-Freeman

4. Phantasmaphile's day job gave us a scare, but she's come through it all right. Phew. I can now resume worrying about things that are far less important.

5. Blood! BLOOD! BLOOOODDD!

6. Richard Foreman is blogging here. As always, Foreman baffles and uses CAPITAL LETTERS. I kid. Obviously, he's a formidable theatrical artist and it's worthy reading. I agree, though, with Jason Grote that his journals are more engaging to me than his actual productions.

It strikes me that the goal of distancing should be to aid in objective observation of something that is too easily made subjective. If both the manner of presentation and the content are distancing, then you've got very little to invest in.

7. The Republicans are shaking in their boots about November 7th. Therefore, there is a call to claim that a Democratic victory (which I refuse to think of as remotely assured) would mean nothing about the Democrats. The spin is that it would simply be a referendum AGAINST the GOP, and that the Democrats aren't offering true reform or other options.

Frankly, a strategy that wins is a good one. Watching the GOP implode is far better than putting plans on the table so that the GOP can attack them and control the debate. At least, when the Democrats attack...they don't have to make things up.

8. Political Theater around town. Good stuff.

9. Last week I, as a part of my day job, gave a seminar on increasing pledges to local parish ministries. I am not kidding.

10. Buy Playing with Canons and The Death of King Arthur! It's good karma, crew. Good karma.

Onwards! Upwards! Mush! Mush!

No comments: