About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Seven Strange Things

I was copied on a meme by Joshua James. Simply put: tell everyone seven strange things about yourself.

Since I'm biting my nails a bit, I'm happy for the distraction. Here goes:

1. I saw Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace in the theater 16 times.

Don't ask about Episodes II and III. Lose respect for me if you want to. It's my life, and it serves me fine.

2. I attended Wrestlemanias X, XIX and XX in person.

Two of them were at Madison Square Garden (X and XX) and XIX was in Seattle. I also attended King of the Ring 1997, for those who give a damn. That was a really terrible show.

3. I played Romeo in a hoopskirt.

Straight out of college, and about 50 lbs ago, I was cast as Romeo with the New Hampshire Shakespeare Festival (now the New England Shakespeare Festival...). This was...1998? The director decided that during the Masquerade, it would be funny if Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio were ALL in dresses and wigs. So when Juliet and Romeo see each other for the first time...I'm in a dress and wig. During the balcony scene, I had to take my fake boobs out.

It was not the finest hour of the American theater. It was a fun summer though.

4. I went to high school with Steve from Blue's Clues.

Which has forever made children's television strange for me.

5. When I lost my virginity, her mother walked in on us, refused to leave, and made quite a scene about the whole thing.

It was not the finest hour of the American theater. I began to laugh quite a bit.

6. I once had a surprise birthday party where I walked in on all my friends pretending to be dead.

I have a running gag with a few friends about dying in public, being found comically dead, and making sure you get a picture of yourself dead in appropriate places. I have a photo of myself dead on Beckett's grave, for example.

I walked into my home and found all my friends dead in my apartment. It was...fantastic.

7. I was the State Reporter for the Technology Student Association in high school.

No idea how that happened. Just something to do. I was not good at it. Everyone around me could build a motor from a rake. I just made competitive speeches about plastics and won awards.

It's what they mean by "ringer."

Happy Election Day everyone. Chew on this.

I tag... David, Zack, RVCBard, Mike and Johnna.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no!