About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Glee Club Postcard Art

Here's the postcard art for GLEE CLUB, including details. If you feel like posting it to your own site, of course, I will give you a bit blog-hug.

4 comments:

RLewis said...

Interesting marketing challenge, this show. It looks like a musical, but I'm guessing that it's not. I wonder if/where you feel the producers have effectively addressed audience expectations in the publicity of your work?

Freeman said...

Interesting question! I think they're doing a bang up job of course. The play is challenging to market, because it is about music, and features music, but it is essentially a full-length one act play with a song in it.

I like the art and postcard, because they highlight that it features a song. Which it does. A song. But it's clearly called a play on the art and in the messaging.

I haven't really heard much confusion about it, myself. Expectations are a very funny thing.

I fantasize about an audience with high expectations that could possibly be let down. Unfortunately, most of what I get is "My friend dragged me to this and it didn't suck!" Low expectations, perhaps, are kind.

RLewis said...

Thanks and good luck with it.

My favorite part is "Sing or Die" - it says drama to me, not musical. Not that it's my place, but I'd like to see something visual in the line-drawing that says, basically, that all is not so Glee in this world. Maybe a knife in someone's hand... or back, one guy holding up bunny ears behind another guy's head, two guys slyly punching fists or holding hands, or just something that says conflicts and mayhem abound... but maybe they don't.

But my 2 cents don't buy much. Anyway, I hope it goes well for ya.

Freeman said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm sort of in love with the postcard. Love to see what others thing. Bruce Goldstone does the artwork and he's basically a genius in my eyes.