About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Question for the readers of this blog

If you read this blog, and you're not a member of my family, has it inspired you to come to one of my productions or read any of my plays? I'm curious if reading my blog actually translates into getting readers curious about or involved in my work. I suspect that, largely, those who read it enjoy it for its own sake. But I don't honestly know.

Indulge me. Even if the answer is "I like your blog but I've never read any of your plays and probably won't" that's grand. I'm just curious.

13 comments:

Sabina E. said...

I would see one of your plays if I lived in New York City, but I live in the midwest :-/

Unknown said...

I've only recently started following your blog. I will likely come to see a production in the relatively near future.

Travis Bedard said...

Have not yet. Will.
I've only been reading four years... I'm pacing myself.

RLewis said...

I may not be a good measuring stick, cuz I read too many blogs, but since you asked: I don't think I'd even know you were a playwright, if I didn't read your blog, so it's good. And I may not agree with every post, but I do look forward to seeing what you have to say.

I was very intrigued by a part of a play that you posted once... I think it had something to do with cancer. Not sure where it was going, but it really got my attention. And I was all ready to see When Is a Clock until reviews mentioned it had a lot of monologues - nothing personal, but that dampened my motivation. From what I've read, I can't see if Glee Club is tackling any Big Idea(s) (my personal penchant), but it looks like fun, and we'll see if the reviews move it up my 'must see' list. I hope so.

Unknown said...

I definitely have been like "I should see one of his plays" since reading your blog, but the timing hasn't worked out. I have been keeping my eye on the Glee Club revival as a chance to change that.

Zack Calhoon said...

I saw your play, "The Americans", before I started reading your blog.

SMLois said...

Being from the west coast of Canada, its a little hard to come see your plays, and I don't do well with reading plays, but I'd say I would come see one eventually :)

Freeman said...

Travis -

Don't be hasty!

You are, also, far away.

Freeman said...

RLewis -

If you do want to take a chance on Glee Club, and check it out, send me an e-mail.

Freeman said...

Thanks for the responses so far.

Unknown said...

Am not family.
Do attend.
Pay money, too.

I have to say (and this is more for other readers than Freeman) that I'm glad that you update the blog about your work. Without these updates I would be harassing you/your family about what to go see. Your "broadcasting" conveniently lets me decide.

Sean said...

I knew about your work as a playwright before I started reading your blog, but the blog does keep me in the loop about your projects. I'm very good about seeing plays, mostly because it is usually what I would rather be doing on any given night, but that does lead to a glut of productions I want to go to, and not a lot of opportunity.

I would say, having this blog on my list of blogs pushes anything you're involved with closer to the top of the list, which guarantees that I'll see it. I probably would anyway, but if you ran something for, say, five shows, and each of those performances had a potential conflict, I might not sweat it.

Anonymous said...

Another blog reader not close enough to actually see your work...

That being said, would love to read more. Always interested in plays.

Also, darn good blog you have here.