About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

First Entry

Well...I was having a discussion with my girlfriend, and the subject of Blogs came up. Which, of course, is supposed to be the next big thing that's affecting public discourse these days. I told her I was skeptical, that I'd heard that blogging was the latest influential step in the internet... but no one I knew read Blogs at all. That it seemed to be a very minor portion of the population that was enthralled by and excited by what seemed to be online diaries. She explained what sort of blogs were making a difference, in what way, how they are used to challenge the debate, democraticize and add independent voices to a media that is increasingly isolated and less inquisitive than it ever was before.

Then I went on my usual defensive ranting about who these forums could be easily corrupted and informed by corporate interests, co-opted by marketers, etc. That a Blog from a Microsoft employee, for example, seemed like just as much a method of controlling public opinion than learning what the public had to say.

It occurs to me that I am often rather closed off to technology, suspicious, a little uninformed and opinionated. So what better way to show her a little respect and respect her opinion that actually see what this is about first-hand. To not only learn about it, but participate a bit and see if I experience exactly what she was describing.

So this is my first entry. I would say that my primary interests are theatre, arts funding, and how this culture needs to re-prioritize. That's vague, yes, but hey, consider this a test run.

Off to the races...

Freeman

No comments: