About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Boy Howdy... Tragedy

I hope he doesn't mean, you know, me. Or anyone else I know that's funny and young. Or uses Microsoft Word.

Either way, I'm not sure what to make of it. I think, for the time being, I'll probably not be reading George Hunka's Organum. They're getting increasingly disapproving of things like Standards of Decency, and that, well, doesn't illuminate much for me. It's just rather depressing.

This is not to decry all value therein. George cares a great deal about Theatre with a capital "T", and that's obvious. It's worthy reading for those who love argument and theory, I'm sure. His disapproval and anger towards the American theatre at large is, though, not helpful to me as I'm struggling through some sore authorial inaction.

I think Death of a Salesman is a darn good play, for the record.

(Or maybe I'm just having a tough day at my day job and grumpy. Could be. I'll likely get over it.)

Happy New Year, to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Death of Salesman" IS a good play, I agree.

Wow, I get what you mean. Reading that on a the first business day of the New Year could be very depressing.

I find that declaring preferences as absolutes is not only tedious, but dangerous at least when it comes to things like politics, life, and the arts.

Happy New Year, Matt.