About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Clinton wins in New Hampshire

Well my predictions, which were pretty standard, were just as wrong as all the others. I figured Clinton would do better in NH than an Iowa. This much better? Didn't expect it.

My initial reaction, honestly, was dismay. I think Hillary Clinton is a perfectly acceptable candidate for the Presidency. She's smart, she would be the first woman elected President (not a small matter by any means), she's experienced and I agree with her on most issues.

Her drawbacks would undoubtedly be that she's far more Hawkish than I am remotely comfortable with, and that she's the general election candidate that makes me the most nervous. Despite the fact that Democratic turnout has far outpaced Republican turnout, Hillary Clinton is irrationally hated by conservatives and isn't even all that beloved by liberals. She has a real chance of losing in the general election, and that scares the hell out of me.

But beyond all that pundit-lite mumbo jumbo...what really bothers me tonight is that Barack Obama represents, to me, a sort of amazing opportunity to have a President the represents something beautiful and idealistic about American politics and American culture. A cure for eight years of American at its very worst. I know that much of the liberal blogosphere have decided they're too smart to be pulled in by rhetorical flourish, and seem to view his charisma and oratory with a sort of suspicion. I simply don't feel that way. I love the idea of an inspirational President, whose biography defies and therefore redefines the American political narrative permanently.

It's a feeling I just don't get about Clinton's candidacy and the prospects of a Clinton presidency. Not tonight anyway.

2 comments:

Zack Calhoon said...

I completely agree with you.

By the way, did you check out the "Yes We Can" speech last night. I can't believe the last time I've watched a politician speak and felt emotional or even inspired (with the exception of Patrick Fitzgerald's indictment of Scooter Libby).

Scott Walters said...

I agree totally, too - thanks for putting it into words.