About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

While I don't want the perfect to be the enemy of the good...

Obama supporting the FISA "compromise" and rejecting public financing is a double whammy of "dammit!" I can't say that I'm terribly shocked to see that a politician I admire would act with expediency (Clintons anyone?) and it doesn't reduce him to the level of, say, an evangelical neocon, it is disappointing.

2 comments:

isaac butler said...

Hey matt,

I'd say I'm far more disappointed by FISA than the public financing thing. The public financing system is completely broken and until that is fixed, I don't think Obama has any obligation to handicap himself by using it...

The FISA thing, on the other hand, is a disaster. Not a losing-my-support disaster but still...really, really bad. A giveaway to corporate contributors matched with the validation of a massive infringement on civil liberties. I don't get it, I really don't. It just goes to show.. the Executive Branch won't give up power once granted, it must be taken away.

Anonymous said...

At this point Obama has to win with whatever means at his disposal.
McCain has now kowtowed so low to the extreme right that there is no resemblance in terms of policy to the McCain who ran for campaign finance reform against Bush eight years ago. The consequences for a loss here will be dire.

Dan F
By the By Happy Pride everyone!