About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Friday, March 13, 2009

$25,000

Last week, there was a linking and commenting jumble about "What ____ would do if they ran the NEA."

Here's something a little more concrete: How would you use a grant for $25,000 that had to be used for your own artistic output or enhancement ( i.e. not rent, food, clothes, etc)?
  • Would you use it for research?
  • Postage?
  • To self-produce?
  • To support a company that produces your work?
  • Supplies? (New computer? Ink? Printer?)
  • New headshots?
  • Classes?
  • To go back to school?
  • Something more elaborate?
  • Hire a press agent?
  • For bribes?
  • A new website of your own?
Just curious.

Happy Friday.

3 comments:

Travis Bedard said...

from a sidebar I did a little while ago:

Given $20,000 and venue time I would produce:

2 Cambiare shows

3 works by other creators in line with the Cambiare Productions thrust which at this moment is derived works and “mash-ups”, and new media.

1 Monthly reading series driven by community choice (i.e. I’ve always wanted to direct this, I want to at least hear it Out Loud… I’ve always wanted to perform this role and I will NEVER be cast in it.)

1 Quarterly Festival focused on spurring creation (writing) with a cash prize.

2 for me 5 for other/community. Because growing the whole is good for me. Poppa ain’t no altruist.

We’ll get there.

This year will see 1 Cambiare show, Out Loud, and some form of the festival.

http://blog.cambiareproductions.com/2009/01/13/in-the-dawn-in-the-beginnings/

Zack Calhoon said...

I'd self produce, I suppose.

Jonna said...

I'd do a combination of your suggestions. I'd pay the people currently working on a new project with me, pay someone to workshop and produce it when it's ready, and use whatever is left for headshots, faster laptop, 2 years' worth of toner cartridges or Ross reports -- I need absolutely no imagination in order to spend money.