About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Nervous Boy reaction; Apartment for Rent

I know it's late in the game and the show has closed (hopefully to be seen again elsewhere soon enough) "The Adventures of Nervous Boy" is an insightful, honest and bitterly funny play; the production was smooth sailing and met the challenges of the mult-layered script with aplomb.

The highest praise I can give it was that I went with Szym and Larry Kunofsky (two playwrights) and Kyle, who directed Most Wonderful Love. Obviously, a block of writers/directors can be a tough crowd. We walked out of there singing the praises and talking about how frighteningly we related. There were moments I think all of us said "This is about me." And then, of course, disavowed this claim, when the script takes darker turns.

So, James and Peter, fantastic, dear hearts. Simply fantastic. I hope to see it again wherever it winds up going.

On a completely different note: I'm moving. And on August 1st, I'll have a very nice apartment for rent. The place is in Kensington on the F Train, with very reasonable rent. It's essentially a studio apartment with two roommates upstairs and a kitchen upstairs and a private bathrooom. We're looking to fill it right away. If anyone knows of a person looking for an affordable, comfortable place that's very near the train... drop me a line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Fantastic play.

Jamespeak said...

Thanks! Matt, I had an absolute blast hanging with you guys at Dempsey's afterwards.

MattJ said...

Matt Freeman is apparently not only the king of downtown theatre satire... but the maestro of post-show alcohol intake gatherings

Freeman said...

I may not be the smartest, and I may not be the tallest, but if you want to hang around with a glass of beer, I do pretty well.