About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

This and that...

Taking a cue from Joshua James... this is what's on my desk right now. For fun and, shall we say, filler.

Four glasses and a mug, all empty.

Two toy race cars - Gifts from Kyle for my last two birthdays

Febreze.

Three Star Wars action figures (Darth Vader, Yoda and Luke Skywalker) in collector packaging.

Netflix Movies - (Superman I and II and Sleeper)

Four CDS - The Darkness "Permission to Land" Thom Yorke "The Eraser," some Jazz from Isaac and mix that Pammy made me.

A picture of me, my brother Michael and my sister Katie from when I was about 4. I am wearing plaid pants and am a little blonde.

My work ID.

A bottle opener and a beer.

A scented candle.

"Natural Novel" - loaned by Isaac.

Bills.

Coins.

A picture of me and my pal Marshall at our friend Matt's wedding.

A collage Pammy made me on our 1st year anniversary of programs, quotes and ticket stubs.

An empty coffee cup.

My laptop.

An empty Soviet Flask.

Some pieces of paper from my new play.

------

In other news, I'm working more quickly now on my adaptation of "The Shadow," which is a mix of text and the original story, with my own entirely new text and scenes as well. It's a story that contains commentary on idealism and the art of writing and class struggles and identity. Quite a bit of fun, anyhow.

Saw the movie "Edmond" today, William Macy in David Mamet's early work. Macy is quite good, as always, but the play is dated and feels like an early effort. The biggest issue with the main character isn't that he acts badly (racism and murder, etc.) It's that he's an imbecile who makes choices and arguments that are either contrived or naive, in equal parts. His series of complaints to hookers, for example, about their rates begs the question: "Does he think that a straight lay SHOULD be $35? And if so, what does his opinion about the state of the world count for? He's a sheltered baby with a knife."

And so on...

2 comments:

Adam Szymkowicz said...

you shadow sounds cool. can't wait to see it.

Floyd said...

All I have on my desk is that decomposing head and some lighter fluid.

Just Kidding! I have cats and don't keep ligghter fluid in the house LOLOL