About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Rehearsing "When is a Clock" # 5

Had a full weekend of rehearsals, after we recorded the podcast. Postcards are ready. They look great to me. Weird stuff.

Not much that I can say about rehearsal. It's going well. I had a moment that I do not recommend to any playwright: I revealed my soft underbelly in public. I had a self-conscious moment about a line and jumped up to say "Cut that line." Kyle informed me, rightly, to shut up and sit down and that I should let the actors perform the line.

We proceeded to hear versions of the line sung, in the style of Kabuki, as if delivered by Sam Spade. It was exactly what I deserved.

Added note: In "When is a Clock" I talk a bit about the "cuisine" of the Pennsylvania Dutch. I was delighted to read this on the New York Times about the food on the road for Barack Obama. So terribly validating.

3 comments:

David D. said...

What you don't know is- with that nifty keystroke spyware- I've also got a lot of lines that you personally deleted from your very first draft that I look forward to reminding you of in performance.

(Is that why Tom kept singing a line at rehearsal last night? I could tell I'd missed an 'in-joke' from the weekend.)

Desmond said...

How about adding the line, "Relax your left eye. Lincoln had some sort of palsy." Come on, give it a go.

Anonymous said...

It is always a challenge, when driving through Pennsylvania to visit the family, to be able to find anything remotely healthy to eat anywhere between New York and Pittsburgh. We thought it'd be a great idea to just bring food to eat on the road in the car with us, which turned out to be great for exactly one passenger. The dog. Who managed to surreptitiously wolf everything down, making him possibly the only creature on earth to polish off a lovely organic meal with a chaser of plastic wrap.