About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Rehearsing "When is a Clock" # 6

Watched some scene work last night. Good work being done. I haven't given everyone the easiest time with some of the monologues and scenes, but it's wonderful to see good, smart actors and a smart director getting into it and figuring it all out.

How I personally tell the difference between good scene work and counter-productive scene work: one looks like a conversation, the other looks like a game of questions.

Lots of good conversation last night.

Blurted out, by accident, a glowing personal review of someone's performance when they asked their director: "What do you think?"

I must learn to keep my mouth...shut. At least, more often. No one asked me.

Also last night I spent a fair amount of time pushing Shadowfax (Kyle's car) with his girlfriend Lindsey, so the thing would start.

Shadowfax is the Lord of All Horses.

3 comments:

Tara Dairman said...

Huh, I didn't even know that the questions thing was an official game! I just know that it's the gimmick my new-old play (new production, oldish play) is based on...40 minutes of questions. One of the actors said that it's "very Talmudic."

I'm really looking forward to When is a Clock. Thanks for sharing your perspective on the rehearsal process here.

Kyle said...

The car's name is totally not Shadowfax. That would be dumb.

Kyle said...

WTF!

It is *so* named Shadowfax! It serves humans only by choice! Like right now, when the enging won't f***ing start. I can only assume it just doesn't want to.

Listen up, hacky...whoever you are! You're sleeping on the couch tonight!