About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

New Focus - Writing A Play

I've decided to use this "blogspace" to jot down notes and thoughts about my process of writing my latest play. It will probably help to organize my thoughts, but I also think it might make for an interesting read for anyone who cares to pay much attention.

As I've taken up this blog, it's been focused essentially as a sort of "online diary" with links to articles and what-not, and random thoughts about whatever crosses my desk. I think maybe a little focus will help bleed some usefulness out of this bizarre medium for me.

So for the next month (or however long it takes) I'll be writing about writing. Hopefully, some of you will check it out and leave me comments.

For starters, my latest play currently says "Divorce in Love" at the top of the page. It's a working title, and may well wind up as the true title. I started writing it just as an exercise, just to try something "fun" with characters that speak in a way I find entertaining. Then, as characters are wont to do, they started looking for something to do. And I've been trying to provide them with one.

As it currently stands, the characters include "Mother" and "Father," a middle-aged couple; their 11-year old daughter Lill, their grown up daugher Jessica, Mother's sister Grace; and Father Comeuppance, the local minister. The major action of the play is this: Mother and Father are getting divorced, and despite what appears to be their absolute devotion to each other. In commemoration for this, Mother has planned an elaborate "Unwedding" to officially, and in the eyes of God, show wifely obedience to this parting.

I've gotten a little feedback from my friend Matt, David and my girlfriend Pam. I've also gotten some solid playwrighting advice from my friend Kyle, who directed one of my scripts "The Great Escape" and was featured as an actor alongside me in my play "The Americans." He's becoming a very solid partner in my process.

That's the setup. Off we go.

No comments: