About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Friday, September 09, 2005

A Simple Refutation of Intelligent Design

I may be a day late and a dollar short with this, but I wanted to chime in on the religious philosophy (I won't call it a "theory") of Intelligent Design. If the world is so complex that the only way to explain our ignorance is the call in the Great and Powerful Jesu...uh...an "intelligent designer"...then explain Tara Reid.

At least Evolution leaves some room for creatures such as this mating and making a living in the marketplace. It's a cruel, sick freak; human nature. But at least it's coming from somewhere we can all recognize.

As far as I can tell, no particularly intelligent designer would have created such a unfathomably complex being.

I'm not saying there's no God. In fact, my father is an Episcopal Priest. I simply don't believe that Lack of Knowledge + Religious Fervor = Science. In fact, I'm shocked that anything plus anything equals Tara Reid.

That's biology for you. You don't need a God to make a baby and give it a beer.

No comments: