About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Monday, October 01, 2007

October 1st

Around the sphere...

George Hunka is at a new website and has decided to discontinue comments. He's returning after a bit of time away. He writes:

I've determined that I will no longer maintain comments for individual
posts; the comments too often devolve into arguments about one thing or another
which tend to befog rather than clarify issues.


Is there a ring of truth in that? Either way, here's where to find Superfluities now. What do you think?

Isaac Butler talks about bit inside baseball about blogger-reviewers here. And asks who you support for President.

Me? I'm just going for some coffee. Weird that it's October already, no?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

God exists, Matt. He is just on the side of the brain-eating amoebas, that's all. So you don't see him around much.

Anonymous said...

Is there a ring of truth that Comments on blogs devolve? no doubt. Is that a good reason to turn them off? not hardly.

George is trying to make my day-gig even more boring. I hope folks do not let this begin a trend. we need more dialogue in the theatrospere, not less. please don't tell me that we can't beyond a lil' snippin' and sniping from time to time.

If this blogging just becomes a one-way mirror for listening to playwrights bitch about development and reviewers dish about opening dates, I'm gonna have to get a real job. yikes! I feel an amoeba comin' on.

Here's to more comments, not less.

Freeman said...

Rlewis -

I do this because I am not adequately managed at my day job. So don't worry, comments will be here.

You aren't interested in my opinion about development or previews? I can't believe it. I really thought I was important for a second.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha. while i love reading you bloggers going off on development, preview reviews and the like, i just prefer that you get as good as you give from the commentors. and isn't that just the best way to judge how well your blog is doing?

if i scroll through a blog and it's just endless "0 comments", i'm pretty sure that i don't need to take the time to read it. see what happened to the VV's Sightlines? unending commentlessness, so when it stopped dead back on Aug 24, no one even cared to notice. i feel for AS, but maybe she's relieved.

Freeman said...

Oh don't feel too bad for AS. I'm sure she has plenty to keep her occupied. I don't, clearly.

My feeling about comments is a bit different because my goals are different on this blog. George (for example) has things he wants to express and it doesn't help him, it seems, to have them challenged and have things bogged down in debate. To be fair, books don't have comments sections, and George is, in effect, writing a book in real-time.

Me? I'm a playwright that has free time and the inclination to talk about all sorts of things. I do this partially to just make people aware that I'm out here...maybe sell a book or a ticket. Maybe just have a good time. So I love comments.

Also, I am in constant need of affirmation because of the dreadful misery and depression.