About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just drafted and re-drafted Bluebeard

A couple of weeks ago, I did an in-house reading of my new play Bluebeard. I've been working on this for a while, as many who read the blog know, and I've continued to chop it up, refine it, and rethink it. The reading was fantastic, directed by my pal David DelGrosso and featuring a cast of very game, terrific actors.

What's fun for me is that this play is absolutely unlike plays I've written before (if you liked Glee Club, this isn't even sort of like that play) and the subject matter of the tale itself is elusive. I love elusive stories, things that feel true even if you can't quite say why. It does make for a script that has slipped through my fingers at times, but the more I've embraced that, the slipperiness of the story itself, the happier I am with the play. It did have some of the repetition stuff I've been working with in In The Great Expanse of Space there is nothing to see but More, More, More, but I've pulled it back a bit in the recent draft.

I'll keep you posted on where this play winds up. I hope to find it a happy home soon.

2 comments:

Brian said...

"if you liked Glee Club, this isn't even sort of like that play"

That needs to be the advertising tagline.

Freeman said...

You're so right.

Dear those that enjoyed my last play: Skip this.