About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Today

My job fails to entertain me. It is the last week in July. Center of the summer. Quiet. Lazy.

I'm working on a grant. I should be done with it by now, but I am not.

Question for you: Is there a well-known play that you really, really don't like? That you think is either overrated, offensive or dull? For example: I don't like Ah, Wilderness! It blows.

8 comments:

Jaime said...

A Moon for the Misbegotten. O'Neill, your dad was a drunk. I get it. Shut up.

David Johnston said...

I like Ah Wilderness.

But I HATE The Cryptogram.

Anonymous said...

Almost anything by Odets, Williams, and Miller - and a good deal of O'Neill - including Ah, Wilderness! (but not Moon for the Misbegotten).

I understand why they were important and influential in their time, but they just drive me nuts now. Especially Odets.

I'm trying to think of at least one now that I can't imagine why anyone EVER liked it.

Jamespeak said...

I'm with Ian: I just don't get Odets at all.

Joshua James said...

I hate, HATE, really hate TIS A PITY SHE'S A WHORE, which is basically one long let's torture the shit out of females because they're all dumb and evil and slutty.

I hate that show.

Scott Walters said...

Anything from the English Restoration -- yuck!

Matthew Trumbull said...

Holy God, the Ancient Greek playwrights. Aeschylus, Euripedes, Sophocles--Utterly and homicidally without nuance. And don't get me started about Lysistrata. My uncle Kenny tells fewer dick jokes when he's drunk, and they're better.

Anonymous said...

Equus.

A paranoid sexually dysfunctional twit is freed of the delusions that led him to blinding six horses and we're supposed to think it's a tragedy.