About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Auditioning Actors / Sides from the Play

Well, the time has come, this weekend, to hold Auditions for "The Most Wonderful Love." I'm sure I'll see a lot of friends there, and also some new faces. We're in the rare position of trying to cast a girl that is in the 11-15 range. I'm curious to see how that will play itself out.

I've been on both sides of that table. There is a sense, on all sides, that one must be both careful and open, which is an exhausting balance to maintain.

If anyone in the NY area knows a child actress that you think can handle a rather mature script, you're welcome to let me know her information.

The play has gone from 150 pages, to 130 pages, to 122 pages to it's current draft of 104. It's had two readings, one of them all women. It's been covered in red from top to bottom. I'm finally tired of writing it...I'm just looking forward to making it happen.

After this, I'm working on an adaptation for a new friend and compatriot. And perhaps I'll get back to writing "The Lower River," which is pretty much the complete opposite of "The Most Wonderful Love" in tone and form.

For those interested in a little preview, there are audition sides for the play here, which, while completely out of context, might as well serve as little trailers for the play. Let me know what impression they give you. I hope you enjoy.

Onwards and upwards.

No comments: