About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Adam on Language

Adam comments on what he sees as a trend towards "language" plays and gives some examples. He uses a bit of a new play I'm working as one.

I do find myself wary of writing with the words in mind, as opposed to the audience. It's very easy for plays that are filled with expressionist language to seem self-conscious and to strike false notes. I do think, though, there's a movement against restraining oneself out of modesty or a sense of correctness. I also think within the examples Adam gives there are vast differences in effectiveness and content.

Give it a read.

Along those lines, I'll share another little piece of a piece. This is a bit of text from The Lower River.

"On my hands and knees I was lapping up the water from this river like an eager puppy. Then the sounds were gone, and I thought, 'E-M-M-A'. The end is the end and the start is the finish and the water was there all along. It was always down there. Under the ground, there is so much water and most of the world is made of water. Most of our bodies are made of water. Water can choke you and keep you alive; water can drown the cities and fill them like a bowl of filth and bodies; water can bring a great wave like an angry fist; water can baptize; holy water; blessed; water from a shallow pool; an oasis; filling your canteen in the desert; water saves your life, water is full of air, fish can breathe in it; water can crush you and give you the bends. It’s obvious, isn’t it? How it cleared me up? Helped me spell my name?"

No comments: