About Me

My photo
Matthew Freeman is a Brooklyn based playwright with a BFA from Emerson College. His plays include THE DEATH OF KING ARTHUR, REASONS FOR MOVING, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE AMERICANS, THE WHITE SWALLOW, AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, THE MOST WONDERFUL LOVE, WHEN IS A CLOCK, GLEE CLUB, THAT OLD SOFT SHOE and BRANDYWINE DISTILLERY FIRE. He served as Assistant Producer and Senior Writer for the live webcast from Times Square on New Year's Eve 2010-2012. As a freelance writer, he has contributed to Gamespy, Premiere, Complex Magazine, Maxim Online, and MTV Magazine. His plays have been published by Playscripts, Inc., New York Theatre Experience, and Samuel French.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

So very lame

Adam tagged me on this meme.

List 5 things that certain people (who are not deserving of being your friend anyway) may consider to be "totally lame," but you are, despite the possible stigma, totally proud of. Own it. Tag 5 others.

This is easy for me. I am one of the most lame people you know.

1. I am an unabashed fan of the Star Wars prequels. I am the only one in existence. It makes people question how I can be considered an intelligent human being. I can write you reams about them. I saw Episode I 16 times in the theaters. That should count as all five, but I will continue. Feel free to fill my comments section with doubt and dismay. I will happily defend it all and not even seem embarrassed.

2. I love to play SimCity. I do it instead of further my career.

3. I am a huge professional wrestling fan. I read this website every day. I have seen Wrestlemania live three times. (Wrestlemania X, XIX and XX.)

4. I used to really, really have a crush on Lisa Loeb. I saw her in concert when I was in high school.

5. I used to work at a Chocolate Shop and I wore a hair net when I did so. The referred to us as Oompa Loompas.

Who shall I tag?

Isaac, Josh, Scott, James and Ian. Can I do six? Is that lame? Yes. Qui.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jesus Christ. Really? The Prequels? The thrilling prologue crawl, detailing the kerfuffle over *trade agreements*????

(sigh)

Freeman said...

Kerfuffle is the word du jour.

Yes. How about Episode III's thrilling prologue crawl? WAR!

Rocked.

Episode I's plot is totally misunderstood. And it's "the taxation of trade routes" not "trade agreeements."

Maybe you have to watch it more times. Like 15 more.

I am not embarrassed by what I just said.

Anonymous said...

I actually liked the prequels quite a bit myself, though I could have lived without such treasures as Anakin's comparison of Padme to sand in Episode 2.

But Episode 3 had Ian McDiarmid tearing it up, Ep 2 had Christopher Lee getting the smackdown from Yoda, Sam Jackson kickin' it old school with a purple lightsaber (cue the "Shaft" theme). Ep 1 I had a lot more problems with, but I definitely left all three having enjoyed myself.

Where do you stand on Ep 1's most widely debated dramaturgical crux, Jar Jar Binks?

Freeman said...

Jar Jar wound up affected significantly by the backlash plot-wise, as he was effectively written out of the story after Episode I. There's a pointed moment in Episode II where he's effectively dismissed from the story, and the live audiences all reacted to it with applause.

He does, though, wind up actually helping give Palpatine extra executive powers, which is a fundamental part of the creation of the Empire.

Personally, I was far less offended by Jar Jar than most people. I think he actually has some nice little moments in Episode I, especially his chat with Amidala about the Gungans being warriors.

Lucas seemed to be trying to introduce a clown into Star Wars, and it didn't work entirely. But it far from something that ruins the entirety of the first film, at least for me. If you go back and watch it without the weight of 16 years of expectation, he's really sort of minor, he's a little silly, that's about it.

The whole bullshit about him being a Minstrel Character (remember that?) seems incredibly silly in hindsight.